Insects may be a natural part of the earth's eco-system, but that does not mean you want them in your home. There are a few things that may attract insects to your house. The following guide will teach you how to prevent infestations and signs that you may already have one.
Do Not Invite Them
The following are a few things that attract insects:
- Food will always attract bugs, but sweet foods are especially alluring.
- Try to minimize the amount of lights on at night because bugs will confuse it as sunlight and be attracted to it.
- Keep your home generally clean because insects are also attracted to oils, crumbs, human (and pet) hair, wood chips, or even nail clippings.
- Avoid cleaning products with floral or fruit smells, as those will attract insects.
- Standing water or a home with a high humidity may attract bugs, because--just like you--they need water to live. Purchase a dehumidifier or have a good air conditioning system to keep the humidity between 30 to 55 percent.
You can talk to your pest control specialist about other things that you or family may be doing to attract insects because your region may play a factor.
How to Naturally Drive Them Away
The following may help you keep bugs away:
- Try spraying some eucalyptus-infused water around the entire house, as the smell scares insects away. Just drop ¼ a teaspoon of eucalyptus in 1 cup of water, pour it into a spray bottle, shake, and spray.
- Use grapefruit essential oil in cleaning solutions because the nootkatone content might repel many insect species. Just add 3 to 5 drops in 2 cups of water and use it as a spray.
- Cedar oil disorients and could kill insects; just add 3 to 5 drops in 2 cups of water and spray the solution around your home.
Signs That It May Be Too Late
The following are signs you may already have an infestation on your hands:
- Discarded bug egg cases
- Dead bugs, either whole or in parts
- Spiders eat bugs, so if you see a lot of webs, there may be bugs
- Odd smells, like strange oils or musty odors, could be a sign of insects
Talk to your pest control specialist should you notice any of these signs, so that he or she can help confirm your suspicions. But, as you can see, learning how to keep bugs away from your home is not too hard and it is worth it.
For more information, contact B & W Pest Control or a similar company.